View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Back again 
Orc Centurion

HI ALL

Glad to see the game made it out of dev.... Sadly I've been away due to serious health issues..
But now I am back. The game made a hell lot of progress while I was away and I'm excited to see the new stuff.. Though I lost my char and that's a shame I still am glad to start over.

Hope to catch you guys on the forums =]

Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:15 pm
Site Admin

Hail, and welcome back. I hope all is going well IRL. Things are cruising along quite nicely around here. The fun train never stops, so expect continued upgrades and improvements! For example there is now a /who command to see who is online. This is a precursor to the chat system which I hope to implement this week. Hopefully my database doesn't explode when I add it to the game.

YouTube | Facebook | Discord

Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:45 pm
Profile WWW
Orc Centurion

I'm glad to hear that! You are doing an awesome work here!
On a side note though [even though I'm sure this should go on the bugs section] I am having a strange problem, every few times when I play the game [occurs at random] I get an error message: Cannot connect to server, and the game throws me back to login screen without saving my latest progress. Also, when I try to log in with the same char it says that the char is already logged in and I should "camp" before exiting the game so I have to wait a few moments before logging back to the game.. Are there any server problems that you are aware of for people who are trying to connect from places outside the US? I'm from Israel btw and I already checked that everything's good with my connection [double checked it with my ISP]

Anyhow, thanks for the warm welcome. It's good to be back ;)

Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:07 pm
Cephalid Subverter

Welcome back. Don't worry about starting over, half the fun is the leveling and progression!

Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:09 pm
Site Admin

RemoSegrop wrote:
Cannot connect to server, and the game throws me back to login screen without saving my latest progress. Also, when I try to log in with the same char it says that the char is already logged in and I should "camp" before exiting the game so I have to wait a few moments before logging back to the game.. Are there any server problems that you are aware of for people who are trying to connect from places outside the US? I'm from Israel btw and I already checked that everything's good with my connection

When it boots you to the login screen, that's because it failed to successfully talk to the server... or it timed out for some reason. Also, are you using wireless? That can definitely increase the likelihood of that happening.

However, it occurred to me that I can improve this annoyance by automatically logging the player out when you are booted to desktop. At least that way you won't have to wait 30 seconds for your character to time out.

Playing from halfway around the planet can definitely create problems as the server is in Denver, and I am not sure what I can do about that without a very large budget.

I figure failing to communicate with the server should boot you to the desktop.... I can't think of a better way to handle it right now. Otherwise you could be losing crucial game data.

Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:23 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Btw, let me know about your experience playing Nevergrind in server mode. You're a great test case for how badly server mode performs on the opposite side of the planet. It's a small website, so I just don't have the resources to make it sing globally. There's a reason every big game has regional game servers.

Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:39 am
Profile WWW
The Legend

Maelfyn wrote:
Btw, let me know about your experience playing Nevergrind in server mode. You're a great test case for how badly server mode performs on the opposite side of the planet. It's a small website, so I just don't have the resources to make it sing globally. There's a reason every big game has regional game servers.

Just FYI, I am a contractor working in the Middle East and the game connects and works perfectly over here from Qatar.

Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:14 am
Site Admin

Oh, no shit? That's great news. I think wireless is a big culprit. I know my wireless sucks when we try to stream video at home. That's for sure.

Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:20 am
Profile WWW
The Veteran

Game works fine from Italy too, no crashes or problems due to latency - apart from the known issue moving items around...

Hall of the dead:
DRIZZT - lvl 79 Dark Elf Wizard
Simona - lvl 74 Dark Elf Wizard

Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:26 am
The Veteran

Game is *usually* fine from the UK too (yes on wireless). The repeated crashing is local to that laptop as far as I can tell.

Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:59 pm
Orc Centurion

I am using wireless though I do find it strange that I'm the only one having problems with the server (Maybe something which country specific??).
I'll keep you posted on my experience, I am playing through a PC and not a laptop but I know for a fact it couldn't be really related to wireless because I play other games which don't have global or regional servers and I connect to US server just fine. But maybe it's something with the firewall that I'm missing.

Does the game run on specific ports? Maybe I should try port forwarding through my router?

Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:04 pm
The Legend

RemoSegrop wrote:
I am using wireless though I do find it strange that I'm the only one having problems with the server (Maybe something which country specific??).
I'll keep you posted on my experience, I am playing through a PC and not a laptop but I know for a fact it couldn't be really related to wireless because I play other games which don't have global or regional servers and I connect to US server just fine. But maybe it's something with the firewall that I'm missing.

Does the game run on specific ports? Maybe I should try port forwarding through my router?

Try changing wireless channels on the router? (interference related)

Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]