View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 6:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Latest development thoughts on the overworld map 
Site Admin

I've about 99% convinced myself to shy away from the overworld idea. Instead I am thinking about improving the current map system. The little click dot things are not a good design, especially for phones or iPads because clicking them really sucks. I try to design the GUI so clicking without zooming is always effective to play the game. So I am thinking about having a list of zones on the side as full-size buttons, a window showing the map, and then a sub-window showing the zone's details. And I am thinking about breaking zones out into something like... Crushbone 1, Crushbone 2 or Crushbone Courtyard and Crushbone Castle. Some zones with wide ranges, like Permafrost, would have up to three (maybe four) versions (Mistmoore possibly). Then each zone would be delineated a little better and there'd be more background variety.

Just thinking out loud here. Feel free to chime in with thoughts.

YouTube | Facebook | Discord

Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:03 pm
Profile WWW
Cephalid Subverter

Sounds great!

Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:10 pm
Anuran Assassin

I'm down, you could even break down the map into camps. Guk as an example: Like the lower end camp ie 30-35 is Ass/sup camp, move down and you have the Sage, and Exe, mover to the next camp and that includes up to the king.

Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:42 pm
Cephalid Subverter

I agree with Cords - using camps (where you could even use this as "you have to kill this before you get a dialogue to go to the next camp") is a great idea.

Another thing that struck me today, how do you feel about unique mob loot? You could of course have "generic" drops from all of them, but hunting that special mob for that special item is kind of a part of EQ. :)

Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:44 pm
Anuran Assassin

I've been asking him that since gear was put in the game, He said he wouldn't but now that we are going to have 2d maps I think that would be easier to make happen. Though I have no clue how hard it is to do what he does.

Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:17 pm
Cephalid Subverter

You wouldn't need to sort all gear out, but it would definately yield more end-game incentives if you knew the high level zone bosses each dropped unique stuff that noone else does.

Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:55 pm
Anuran Assassin

Remember though he's yet to add epic bosses like Naggy, Vox, Cazzic Thrule, Innurruk, Phinny, and so on. Cloak of flames(cough... Cough) :D

Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:18 pm
Goblin Warrior

+1 for the idea on camps idea. Definately sounds like a nice addition. Maybe add an option to see current people actually in certain zones? ( if funds allow ) and that'll leave the multiplayer road paved open for later use ¿

Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]