View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 10:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Just a new member 
Gnoll

Hello, im Simon. Im a beginner in javascript and jquery. At the moment im learning how to work with html canvas and javascript. Your game looks really awesome. I tried it on PC Windows 7 chrome. Everythings looks and works fine. But on Ipad there is no sounds, no music. Maybe some other players tried this game also on mobile devices? And another question, what programming languages you used to build this game besides javascript, jquery, html and css? Oh, and you and your game motivates me to keep going, keep learning. One day i want to make game of my own.

Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:01 am
Site Admin

Welcome! The game is entirely written with javascript and jquery. Well, there's some PHP, but less than 1%. At a later time I could possibly re-write more of the code in PHP to make the game more secure, but that would be quite an undertaking and put a lot of strain on the server, which means more expensive for me (and this website makes negative money). There's no canvas and no flash. Sound will not work in IE or Safari, so that is a known issue at this time, but it may possibly be fixed later. Maybe. Apple and Microsoft will not support free, open source formats like .ogg, so that is the problem.

On the bright side it does work, aside from the music ;D

If you think it looks fine now, wait until I release the upgraded GUI in a week or so! :D It is so exciting !

YouTube | Facebook | Discord

Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:17 am
Profile WWW
Gnoll

Oh, thx for your answer. So, thats why there is no sound. Understood, thats not a big problem for me, i can play without sound, whit my music on:) Yeah, i think your game looks amazing. Ofcourse im not comparing this with Skyrim or Diablo like other people on youtube who say this looks bad :D But now i know how much time takes to program even simple things. And especialy how much time it takes for a beginner. I really really appreciate what you did here. When do you eat and sleep man?:D And what is your profesion, your regular job?:)

Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:44 am
Cephalid Subverter

I mentioned it earlier, you should really set up an account on either PayPal, Skrill or both and add a donate button! I'd be more than willing to donate a bit on Skrill (but not on PayPal). :)

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:39 pm
Goblin Warrior

=) Welcome

Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:05 pm
Anuran Assassin

nice to have a new person on the forum. I agree with Drete I would donate as well.

Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:22 pm
Site Admin

Simon wrote:
And especialy how much time it takes for a beginner. I really really appreciate what you did here. When do you eat and sleep man?:D And what is your profesion, your regular job?:)

Honestly, I barely have as much time as I'd like to have. I work full-time and I'm married with three young kids, so I don't have the time to make as much progress as I'd like to make. At time I do push the borders of sleep deprivation, but I try to avoid that since it's only a short-term benefit.

I work full-time in software development as a technical writer, but I've had my eye on moving into a web development position. That's part of the reason I started this project. I'd say I knew close to nothing about web development two years ago.

YouTube | Facebook | Discord

Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:14 pm
Profile WWW
Gnoll

Maelfyn wrote:
Simon wrote:
And especialy how much time it takes for a beginner. I really really appreciate what you did here. When do you eat and sleep man?:D And what is your profesion, your regular job?:)

Honestly, I barely have as much time as I'd like to have. I work full-time and I'm married with three young kids, so I don't have the time to make as much progress as I'd like to make. At time I do push the borders of sleep deprivation, but I try to avoid that since it's only a short-term benefit.

I work full-time in software development as a technical writer, but I've had my eye on moving into a web development position. That's part of the reason I started this project. I'd say I knew close to nothing about web development two years ago.

I will be soon married, but without kids:) Im 30 years old. And all my friends look at me now like im some kinda freak, because i quit my old profesion and started to learn programming. Nobody believes in me, that i can achieve this goal and start working as a programmer:) Because i dont have any programming background. For them im acting really stupid. But i like this full time "hobby" more than all the shit i did before. I want to work in the future in this are, do what i actualy really like. And ofcourse money is not bad:)

Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:25 pm
Anuran Assassin

First off its not stupid. I think finding something that you like or are passionate about is great. I'm 38 and working toward being a professional author. I started as a kid in the technician world. I worked as a COBOL programmer for 20 years, never got into this internet java, html stuff though, to be honest back when I was working I felt that they were the inferior programming languages. Lol the old man telling kids to get off his lawn. Maelfyn has proved me wrong. I'm out of the programming game now though. I spend to much time traveling doing poetry, while writing 5 books. About to be done with my poetry book of all the poems I did in 2013, which contains about 380 poems. Going to cut that down though of course. Anyway the point is follow your hobbies, and they will become your job.

Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:58 pm
Gnoll

Cords wrote:
First off its not stupid. I think finding something that you like or are passionate about is great. I'm 38 and working toward being a professional author. I started as a kid in the technician world. I worked as a COBOL programmer for 20 years, never got into this internet java, html stuff though, to be honest back when I was working I felt that they were the inferior programming languages. Lol the old man telling kids to get off his lawn. Maelfyn has proved me wrong. I'm out of the programming game now though. I spend to much time traveling doing poetry, while writing 5 books. About to be done with my poetry book of all the poems I did in 2013, which contains about 380 poems. Going to cut that down though of course. Anyway the point is follow your hobbies, and they will become your job.

wow Cords, 5 books... And you are writing only poetry? Or some other stuff too? Maybe you can share some of your work? Yeah, when i think, everything i know, i learned by my self. Even this language - english. Im a self thought. And im making alot of mistakes, because im really bad with english grammar :) But im working everyday on this. Watching movies, reading books, at home speaking english and etc. The same with programming... I like to think, that when you find something, that you really like to do and you become really good at that, money comes by themselves. So, im learning everyday and waiting for bright future:D

Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:33 pm
Anuran Assassin

I understand that. I learned the Italian that I know from watching Italian tv, when I lived there. Only one book is a book of poetry. I have one about a serial killer, one is about a 5 year old girl who is a demon. I'm writing another about a city run by gangs. I write in all Genre's. Here's a short poem for you.

Crème Brulee Kisses
By: Michael Lowe

Carmen’s Habanera softly fills the lounge
as Mr. Hewitt dances down the rolling staircase
in a slow cadence as his cigar steeps in his hand
the smell of rose, and dry lavender ripens
in the smoke
and his eyes glisten in a low hanging sun
she could smell him from the kitchen
her lips twist
as she plates the crème brulee
newly out of the oven
and ready for their date night
he can’t but waft the elegant smell
to his face
while Mrs. Hewitt opens a sixty-two Sauternes

the cork gives way
and the combined smells of desert and wine
culminate in soft kiss between them
his spoon slips into the dish, as Mrs. Hewitt looks on
as soon as the crème touches his tongue
she can see that he enamored
so she joins in
they talk about work
and their day
when they’re done
and the bottle is empty
they stroll arm in arm up the stairs
and fall into bed
as they do every night.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:52 am
Gnoll

Your poem is really good man!

Sorry guys, i was busy, i got a new awesome job. Now i'm working in IT. Dream come true:) But now i'm back to play this game, to be a member of this community. And wow, now this game looks even better.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]