View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 7:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
Just a fun idea I was thinking about 
Site Admin

I was thinking up some account-only features when that goes live. I have been toying with some funny ideas for the cities. Like, maybe there would be a message board in town where you could leave messages on. Remember how Highpass Hold had weird stuff like that? That might be kind of funny. Not really a firm idea, but I was thinking about some fun social way to make the cities different. They're all basically the same, so why not just go to Ak'Anon every time? Maybe a different message board could be one idea.

If I stay on track I could make real-time chat a city only feature too. It would probably get annoying in combat. I dunno. Diablo was that way. Chat outside of the game. No chat in the game. I think it's often too distracting anyway. It makes sense in an MMO, but perhaps not a more casual browser action rpg like this.

YouTube | Facebook | Discord

Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:52 am
Profile WWW
The Artificer

neat ideas

btw i always thought it was weird that my Dark Elf Shadow Knight can go bank in Felwithe.... plus i sorta wouldn't mind killing some high elf guards ;)

Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:55 am
Anuran Assassin

I think being attacked in towns that your race shouldn't be in would be awesome. Also I thought there were spots that held a note saying so and so was here. And it kept it stored for a few days or 24 hours.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:10 am
Site Admin

Lol, yeah that would be funny. Suddenly some uber guard would pop out and destroy you. That would be pretty good.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:12 am
Profile WWW
Anuran Sentinel

Yeah, till you forget which character you're playing atm and go to the wrong city! I just know it would happen to me.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:43 am
Orc Centurion

I do think there should be a chat room/channel of some sort. It would help build community for sure. I wouldn't mind some city quests : ) Could have a huge quest chain where you have to go to each city and do a quest and you get something neat.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:20 pm
The Artificer

what about an auction house to sell your excess gear to other players? :)

Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:30 pm
Orc Centurion

Yes we do need something to spend money on other than paying the death toll

Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:48 pm
Site Admin

Upgrading weapons and armor really pays off! Especially weapons! :) I use gold for training too. Like abjuration.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:05 pm
Profile WWW
Orc Centurion

I upgrade my stuff but don't want to break anything! I had like 60k last night till that dastardly ghoul lord stole some of it!

Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:30 pm
Site Admin

First upgrade is guaranteed ;)

Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:46 pm
Profile WWW
The Artificer

i had a badass weapon that broke on my second upgrade. ever since then i only upgrade everything once, heh.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:07 pm
Cephalid Subverter

I generally do attempt three steps per copy in my bank. :p

Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:12 pm
Site Admin

Yeah, once you have two you can go nuts ;) Upgrade it. Go ahead.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:13 pm
Profile WWW
Cephalid Subverter

An auction house would be awesome btw, especially at high levels! I get sooo much awesome loot with no toons good enough to use it. :) Like my awesome exceptional leather pieces etc, I bet my monk will kick major behind when I get him up there..

Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:30 pm
Site Admin

Auction House. I've thought about this, but I feel like this always ends up going somewhere bad. It almost always encourages cheaters. I won't rule it out though. I've definitely thought about it. That would be an account-only feature for sure. I have to admit it would be sweet.

I kind of like the idea of trading rooms or something too. Like the ability to present other players with trading windows and agreeing to the trade. Like a barter system. In my experience this encourages a much less robotic economy.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:40 pm
Profile WWW
Cephalid Subverter

You have entered the East Commonlands tunnel. Yeah, defo.

To avoid cheaters, you can set a minimum required level to flag an account to be able to trade. Something fairly easy like 20 or 30, but not stupid easy.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:43 pm
The Artificer

i bet i could get cords to pay me IRL money for a sweet enough ranger bow =p

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:01 am
Site Admin

Drete wrote:
You have entered the East Commonlands tunnel. Yeah, defo.

To avoid cheaters, you can set a minimum required level to flag an account to be able to trade. Something fairly easy like 20 or 30, but not stupid easy.

Fantastic idea imo. And much more in spirit with classic EQ. Bartering was a lot of fun. I feel that AH's killed the culture of the game. But of course they work very well for commerce.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:07 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

pharmakos wrote:
i bet i could get cords to pay me IRL money for a sweet enough ranger bow =p

irl lulz

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:07 am
Profile WWW
Orc Centurion

Being able to 'donate' for buffs is something that would be neat. Pay x in a city to get a buff. Or if you do implement an etc tunnel area you could do it there.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:03 pm
Cephalid Subverter

EC tunnel buffing sounds truly awesome.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:13 pm
Gnoll Commander

A couple things that usually stick out to me in games like this are the economy and community. The more that you can get your community to interact and depend on one another, the more reason they will have to continue playing. I love the idea of message boards, purchasing buffs and auction houses. Purchasing buffs and auction houses can provide a money sink which is desperately needed for a stable economy. A couple thoughts on how to build on these ideas:

- Player Made Utility Scrolls. Keeping it simple at first, allow each class to have one or two utility scrolls that only their class can make. These can then be sold at auction to other classes or used by other characters on their account. An example of this might be a Necromancer creating a Lich scroll which can turn you into a Lich for an hour where you gain mana quickly, but slowly loose health. The key would be to add mechanics that would regulate how many can be made. An idea might be to require reagents which must be looted from mobs. Would make for a fun way to add some secondary questing as well.

- Auction House only usable after normal difficulty has been defeated. This would make it so each account would have to beat the initial part of the game would make sure to weed out a majority of the "cheaters".

- Another money sink might be to add a pay up feature to upgrading items. So you could pay 100 gold to upgrade your item to level 5 with a good chance of success or pay 500 gold to double your odds at success (values would have to be adjusted of course).

- The last idea is related to the initial idea from Maelfyn on diversifying the cities. I would say that each location should be a bit more specialized in certain vendor items. Melee weapons are more common in one city, while cloth armor might be more common in another. You can then add a feature where you can "invest" in the local vendor. So if you go to a town which specializes in cloth, you can pay a certain sum to gain access to the "finer" goods they offer. You can set this up in 3 tiers, Blue items, Rare Items, and Unique items. Would make for another great money sink in the game.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]