View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 7:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
The unthinkable and why it appears to be happening 
Site Admin

I can't believe I'm typing this, but this project appears to be progressing toward becoming a unique IP. At this time I plan to separate myself from Everquest to the greatest extent possible and "fork" NeverGrind into a distinct intellectual property. Of course, to anyone that knows there will still be obvious hints that this game was always rooted in classic EverQuest.

Why am I doing this? When I first started development you cannot imagine how sad and pathetic this game was. My aspirations and goals were very humble and I never dreamed of raking in thousands of page views per day. Building a game around classic Everquest has been a great inspiration over the last two years, but it is increasingly holding this project back in many ways. So I have decided to make this transition before releasing version 1.0.

Hopefully this is not too much of a turnoff to many of the old fans here, but I think this will be a net positive move for the game overall in the long run.

YouTube | Facebook | Discord

Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:46 am
Profile WWW
The Artificer

i will definitely still keep playing. :) and i totally understand -- at the beginning you were just having fun, and you didn't realize that you would end up making a game this awesome that so many people enjoy.

the sky is the limit now!

Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:18 am
Site Admin

Thanks for your support pharmakos! I am sure some will be dismayed by this change, but I think it's necessary if I want this project to go anywhere further. I did not think I would end up making something that could get 10,000+ page views in a week. After all I majored in English and work as a technical writer for a living. So my expectations were reasonably low. Many people with much more robust qualifications (comp sci degrees, actual programmers, etc) haven't managed to scrape together that many page views for their games, particularly not their first.

YouTube | Facebook | Discord

Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:39 pm
Profile WWW
Gnoll

Your game is what keeps people coming back and I know I(and my 3 sons 9, 13, and 15) will play regardless. I am excited to see you develop your own unique lore and IP as well!!

Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:04 pm
Orc Pawn

This is like an RPG I always dreamed of playing. A single player, open world RPG. Kind of like EQ. Taking what you've done and turning into a unique product will be incredible!

Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]