View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 7:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Video recording 
Orc Centurion

Hello.. I would like to make a let's play video for this game, And I only did something basic for let's plays so I was wondering something.

I'm using fraps usually to record video. But the files are turning out really big [Around 500MB for just a couple of minutes video] It's not that I've got a HDD space problem it's just that videos these large are taking quite some time to upload to YouTube even short videos takes really long time, are there any recommended file type that's mend for YouTube videos?

Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:43 pm
Site Admin

You're not directly uploading those uncompressed videos to youtube, are you? FRAPS captures uncompressed video. Use a video production program to compress them into a format like .wav or .mp4 first. Then you can upload them in less than a month 8) I personally recommend mp4 (I think youtube does, too).

Do you have video production software? There are a lot of cheap options out there. I got Sony Movie Studio for like $50 online.

YouTube | Facebook | Discord

Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:25 pm
Profile WWW
Orc Centurion

Yup.. I turns out I'm a complete clueless idiot when it comes to video editing.. Apparently I did exactly what you just wrote.. I tried to upload uncompressed videos... I'll purchase a basic video editing tool and will start working on a let's play ;)

Catch it up soon on YouTube ;)

Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:00 pm
Site Admin

I'm happy to help. I'm a big video production enthusiast (if you couldn't tell from my videos). I'm not a total expert, but I have a good handle on it. I've also built a site like youtube for my employer, so I know a lot about video rendering using FFMPEG (the special sauce of most of these tools behind the scenes).

Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
Orc Centurion

That's how you were able to put yourself on the videos without the background being seen at all? love that feature and I don't recall seeing on any other Let's Play video I've seen (Could be wrong though)

Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:21 pm
Site Admin

It's surprisingly easy to do. The effect is called Chroma Key. It takes a little practice, but you can do it with a green screen/cloth and Sony Movie Studio ($50). Getting the lighting just right is probably trickier. You also want to turn off all of that auto crap on your camera. It screws everything up. Turn off auto exposure, auto white adjust, auto focus, etc. If you're filming in a stable environment you don't need auto anything.

Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:26 pm
Profile WWW
Orc Centurion

The 3 hours "Let's Play" you did for Nevergrind, how much did it weight after you finished converting it to mp4 file?

Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:33 am
Site Admin

It's close to 4 hours... it ended up being 12.5 gigs.

Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:44 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]