View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 4:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Beginner's Guide to Warriors 
The Hero

Summary
Warriors are a pretty hearty class, able to take and dish a lot of damage. They have a large number of interrupt and stun abilities – that said, if all of those are exhausted and you’re in trouble.. RUN!

Races
The best races for the warrior are:
- Ogre: Immune to stun (hello?!)
- Dark Elf: Life Leech ability – wonderful synergy with enrage.

Leveling Up
Leveling up as a warrior is slow until you reach level 37. Some tips on starting a new warrior:
- Throw all talents into Avenging Strike or Shield Slam (you’ll be respecing at L.37)
- Level the character up to L.10 and save some gold, fairly quick.
- Reload the game and visit the merchant until you have two rings with life leech.
- Upgrade gear as you go along, prioritizing the following stats: Life Leech, Attack Haste, Strength
- Reach level 37: Respec and get L.20 Intrepid Might – this will enable you to perform 6-7 attacks per turn.
- Reach L.99: Done!

Abilities
- Kick - Useful for attempted interrupts. The only time I personally use it is when attempting to interrupt a cast.
- Slam - Great damage as you level up. Again, I personally don't use it in my rotation any longer except for when I want a guaranteed interrupt.
- Avenging Strike – Your default when everything else is on cooldown.
- Enrage – Bread and butter ability. Use this whenever you want to utterly destroy everything on the screen. Best utilized with a high damage 2h’er.
- Pummel – Can be used after any stun. Provides you with some invulnerability. Best utilized on the tail end of when a stun (like from Slam) is about to wear off.
- Subjugate – Amazing spammable ability. This will be a good chunk of your DPS, especially during an enrage activation.
- Furious Scorn – Mitigates some damage. I use this very seldom, mostly just on boss fights.
- Triage – Great heal ability. I typically trigger this when I have around 40% life remaining. This will usually bring you back to near full in 5-6 seconds if you’re not taking boatloads of damage.
- Decisive Blow – Great ability for levelling up and finishing off mobs.
- Hemorrhage – Cast this on every mob. Things will die quicker.
- Absorb Spell – In its original form, it can heal you if you trigger it to block an enemy spell. That said, since you pretty much MUST take Intrepid Strike’s talent this ability loses a lot of its usefulness. I rarely use this anymore unless I have extra rage available
- Intrepid Might – A great ability on a cooldown that makes you invincible for a short time.
- Bulwark – Fantastic “oh crap” ability. It’s essentially a shield wall that mitigates 40% incoming damage for 15 (to 20 if you choose to get the talent) seconds.
- Frenzied Rampage – Great ability that bumps your haste by 50% after a kill.
- Shockwave – An amazing, undodgeable AOE stun that does a good chunk of damage. Use it.

Talents - Rating scale [1-10]
Tier 1
- Kick: [1] Useless Talent. L.20 ability drains mana of the target hit.
- Slam: [3] Decent talent if you’re building a defensive warrior. L.20 ability hits all targets with a shockwave, damaging and stunning them.
- Avenging Strike: [5] Increased damage on your spammable. L.20 ability is an overall increase of 5% damage.

Tier 2
- Pummel: [1] Useless Talent. L.20 ability allows makes you riposte while invincible.
- Hemorrhage: [8] Great talent. Increased against to one of your most used skills plus L.20 makes Hemorrhage cast on three targets (main, plus targets on either side)
- Enrage: [10] Amazing talent. Makes you a beast. L.20 ability triggers Frenzy.

Tier 3
- Bulwark: [3] Decent ability for a defensive spec. L.20 extends Bulwark duration by 5 seconds.
- Absorb Spell: [2] I personally think this talent ruins the skill. Turns Absorb Spell into Reflect Spell. L.20 reduces the cooldown in half.
- Subjugate: [10] Amazing ability. This is a spammable for you. L.20 give your Hemorrhage an 8% chance to trigger Subjugate

Tier 4
- Shockwave: [7] Good ability, for a defensive spec. This will considerably increase your dps. L.20 ability makes Shockwave double hit all targets.
- Intrepid Might: [10] A must have. L.20 ability gives you +5 autoattack, which increases the number of attacks you get per round from 1-2 to 6-7.
- Decisive Blow: [5] Decent ability. L.20 makes Decisive Blow hit twice when triggered.

Character Setup

Rotation
I typically only use four abilities in my rotation. These are:
- Subjugate: Spam this as much as it's available. No cooldown, 5 rage.
- Intrepid Might: Spam this as it's available. 15 second cooldown, no rage.
- Enrage: Typically spam this as it becomes available. On bosses I'll wait until it's off cooldown and then engage. 30 second cooldown.
- Avenging Strike: Spammable filler. No cooldown, no rage.

The reason why I don't use any of the other abilities is for a couple of reasons:
1. I like having rage to do things with. As it is, with just Subjugate you will chew through your rage quickly. No rage = no ability to use anything else.
2. Damage can be super spiky and you'll be thankful you have a full rage bar so you can stunlock everything or use bulwark or triage or any number of other mitigating abilities.

Talents
In my opinion, the following talents are MUST HAVES and not optional (in priority order):
1. Intrepid Might
2. Enrage
3. Subjugate
4. Hemorrhage
The remaining points you can spend however you like. I haven’t changed this since L.37; however I may look into a few different builds and post updates later. Attached is my current spec.

Gear
Here are my gear recommendations:
- 2h Weapon: Highest Damage you can find
- If you’re not an ogre, make sure you have Stun Reduction on some pieces of armor.
- Priority of Stats:Life Leech, Attack Haste, Strength (for +attack), Critical Chance, Critical Damage

This should get you started. If you have any questions or feedback, feel free to PM me on the boards or leave a reply here.

/fitzor

Attachments:
talents.PNG
talents.PNG [ 121.61 KiB | Viewed 3461 times ]

Last edited by mukkel on Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:38 pm
The Purist

Where does the majority of your healing come from in hell to be able to chain so much? I suppose with high hp values in hell, triage might be a lot better than lower difficulties? Does your dps actually let you leech faster than 1 or 2 mobs damage? What's your life leech at?

Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:11 pm
The Hero

I don't chain in hell at all - I single pull. Even single pulling is way too risky there (hence both of my deaths to triple ambushes while grinding in 97).

My life leech is sitting at 50 right now. I can bump it to around ~72ish with some gear swaps - though right now I'm geared for xping.

/fitzor

Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:05 pm
The Hero

I should add that I use my talents in a specific order as well.

Typically I'll use them around these specific health points:
- Bulwark: 70%
- Triage: 50%
- Slam: 50%
- Shockwave: 30%

Additionally (and I'll edit the guide on my rotation), I don't use any abilities that consume rage except for Subjugate. The reason for this is so that I can readily use any of those cooldown abilities since damage can be quite spiky.

/fitzor

Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]