View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Item Upgrade - Shields and Hybrids 
The Legend

A couple thoughts about the Upgrade Item feature:

1) Shields
I think it's too strong of a disincentive to use a shield because not only are you giving up the superior auto attack damage a two-hander or dual wielding provides, but you are also shorting your character +15% enhanced damage. Spellcaster off-hands don't suffer from this disadvantage as they're considered weapons yet I don't see wizards smacking anyone with their snow cones. What do you think of allowing the Upgrade Item to consider Shields as weapons and grant bonus enhanced damage?

2) Weapons Enhancing All Damage
When upgrading weapons, you have to choose between boosting Physical or Magical damage. I'm thinking this choice is unfair to hybrid classes. As a rogue nearly all of my damage is physical so I'm not really concerned that my Poison doesn't get boosted. However, I imagine other hybrid classes deal a mix of damage and so only benefit half as much as a pure physical or magical damage dealing class would. What do you think of having the Upgrade Item for weapons boost both?

Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:57 pm
Site Admin

1 Nah. I would rather give all shields a passive block% to make them more useful for players that actually care about defense (hardcore).

2. Hey, brah. That's hybrid life. Maybe... but maybe make it much more expensive? Dat gold sink.

YouTube | Facebook | Discord

Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:08 pm
Profile WWW
The Legend

Considering there's a message saying, "Success is guaranteed" my first impression was that the system would be an RNG upgrade system to really drain the bank. Guaranteed for the first few but then diminishing chances as you get higher and higher so that last 10/10 would take a ton of gold and luck.

I suppose you could still add in extra levels that do just that for people sitting on a bunch of gold and looking to spin the wheel.

Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:27 am
The Artificer

that "success is guaranteed" message is an artifact from a point in beta where success was not guaranteed.

failure destroyed the item.

perhaps failure should still be possible, but without destroying the item?

Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:46 am
The Epicurean

I always wondered about that. Never upgraded anything all the way, but wondered if I'd get to < 100% success.

If you do re-introduce failure, please make it non-destructive. I'm too chickensh*t to upgrade if it's 99.8%. ;)

Good gold sink, though.

Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:29 am
Site Admin

This is a really popular feature in Eastern games, but Western gamers apparently hate it. It was an idea I liked from Phantasy Star Universe.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MQEm3hkSpI[/video]

Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:35 am
Profile WWW
The Epicurean

+rep for retro The Price Is Right audio goodness.

Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:42 am
Gnoll Commander

Maelfyn wrote:
This is a really popular feature in Eastern games, but Western gamers apparently hate it. It was an idea I liked from Phantasy Star Universe.

You could have both? Why not have a risky upgrade, with a chance to destroy item/lose overall upgrade slots/fail and lose chunk of change/etc, this could provide additional bonuses, maybe an item proc or special effect for 5/10 or 10/10.

Then if people aren't game for it, a guaranteed success upgrade which costs more/same/less but gives less stats?

Or you could have 5 for risky upgrade and 5 for safe upgrade? Something along those lines.

The min-maxers always want better stats, and this introduces gold sinks/item sinks if/when trading comes around.

Personally, I don't like taking risks quite like that, so the alternative guaranteed but weaker upgrades would probably be my thing, but it would at least allow the choice.

Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:41 am
Site Admin

Not a bad idea. Would require some considerable redesign though. I love the idea of destroying items. Maybe I'm just a sadist lol

Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:17 am
Profile WWW
Goblin Warrior

Maelfyn wrote:
Not a bad idea. Would require some considerable redesign though. I love the idea of destroying items. Maybe I'm just a sadist lol

I'd rather to have random enchants so you have to keep getting an item instead of getting it broken :/ I'ts similar but it hurts a lot more when your items breaks and you realize you spent last 5 hours for nothing..

Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]