View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Bounty missions. 
Orc Warlord

Place a board in town with a list of special monsters you can hunt in certain zones. It'll tell you which zone, then you go there, and fight stuff until you see it. Have a reasonable gold reward for completing a bounty mission. Maybe open up some uber bounties after the player finishes act 4 hell mode so there is something left to do post game.

Roarak - Warrior level 99
Megidos - Necromancer level 99
Rykros - Magician level 98
Kuldera - Druid level 98
ProphetMuhammad - Cleric level 98

Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:08 pm
Site Admin

Haha, that's a cool idea. Like, go find x, y, and z rare mobs. And provide some kind of reward.

YouTube | Facebook | Discord

Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:15 pm
Profile WWW
Goblin Warrior

I think i had a similar idea, daily/weekly quests that give you a random zone to clear. Though i was thinking that zone wouldn't be in the acts and instead somewhere else.. To make it seem like the world is vast and not linear 100%.

Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:21 pm
Gnoll Commander

Personally, I'm against the idea of time-gated content. Once a day/week, it seems good on paper, but it always makes people feel "forced" to do them. If they're always available, people do them more comfortably and at their own pace. This way if people want to play catch up, they can. If people want to power through them, they too can.

Let the gating to the rewards be the length and number of quests required, not arbitrary time impositions.

Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:01 pm
Site Admin

I feel you there. Honestly, I kind of hated the concept of daily quests. I remember the first time I played them... I think in WoW's first expansion? It just felt like a hamster wheel to me. A well designed game doesn't feel like one. EverQuest never had stuff like that and we were fine without them.

I always thought it was remarkable that millions of people would do Mephisto runs in Diablo 2 hundreds of times in a row non-stop. Sure, you'd mix it up and hit Andariel, Pindleskin, or a few other good spots to make it less monotonous. But you know you've made a great game that people care about if they will do something extremely repetitive, yet enjoying it. That means you designed the game in a manner that the rewards are so appealing that people will endure whatever treadmill you've created to get it.

I think if I did a bounty mission sort of thing it'd be a repeatable like any other repeatable. Though, I do like the idea of injecting dynamic quests opportunities. A la Uber Nalatos?! Something to that effect.

YouTube | Facebook | Discord

Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:11 pm
Profile WWW
Orc Warlord

You could make people have to fight the uber bounties to get a shot at the top legendary drops.

Another idea for end game content would be a randomized dungeon (netherworld) that resets when you leave, but the deeper you go the better the drops and gold gets, but the tougher the mobs get as well. They could be filled with hell mode+ (AKA inferno) tier mobs. You could have some floors give a penalty to the player at random, like a minus resist debuff, or a penalty to armor, or damage. Just to spice things up. Maps in PoE had debuffs on them and rewarded the player with higher drop rates based on the type of debuff. Maybe something similar to that could be done in the randomized dungeon. You could even have something like all mobs on the floor get Iron Maiden, but the player would get a 30 bonus to MF and 30% more gold or something like that.

Roarak - Warrior level 99
Megidos - Necromancer level 99
Rykros - Magician level 98
Kuldera - Druid level 98
ProphetMuhammad - Cleric level 98

Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:54 pm
Gnoll

Would also be cool to see guilds in the game, sort of like long side quests that open up new areas of the map. They could also provide better training in certain skills or something like that.

Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]