View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
"Pull Next Monster" cooldown 
The Legend

Can we please have the "Pull Next Monster" cool down reduced or removed entirely? I repeatedly keep losing Combo due to the inability to pull more mobs. One of the big factors is that the cool down is also triggered after killing mob's pets. Long story short, unless I manage to get Champions up on the board, I can't get the Pull button refreshed before autoattack / AE downs another normal mob or pet, which then starts the stupid cool down all over again.

#firstworldproblems

Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:08 am
Site Admin

I can add it to the list... lol

YouTube | Facebook | Discord

Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:53 am
Profile WWW
Cephalid Subverter

I agree...the pets are the worst culprits of breaking combos.

Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:34 pm
The Veteran

Aye, a quick round of crits and the mobs are gone =(

Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:21 pm
Gnoll

or just pull sooner?

Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:57 am
The Legend

Valar wrote:
or just pull sooner?

This is the problem. When you pull, it triggers a 2 second cool down where you can not summon any more mobs. Mobs are being killed faster than the cool down can expire, so you can't pull any more mobs and the combo is broken.

Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:48 pm
Site Admin

Hang in there, guys. I will fix this, but it is not a quick fix. To be honest it's the result of me coding like a neanderthal. But you can't blame me. I am 3% neanderthal, so that it explains it.

YouTube | Facebook | Discord

Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:54 pm
Profile WWW
Orc Centurion

Are you killing this fast on Nimgaul Hell? I was having issues with that until I started fighting tougher mobs that take longer to kill.....

Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:40 pm
Deathly Harbinger

It's a much bigger issue for warriors and rangers who have insane auto attack flurries and will 1shot the mob without even hitting an active skill. As a monk you can just not hit anything and usually only do a little bit of auto attack damage while you spam D to get a full swarm up. Definitely an archaic mechanic though.

Revenant Snugglepuppy Cuddlekitten
Outrider Dogna Stormwolf
Knight Isthar Ironbane

Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:46 pm
Skeleton

Personally, I don't really care for the cooldown while just playing around for fun. However.. I feel that if there were to be a truly competitive ladder of sorts, the cooldown is rather necessary. Otherwise it stifles diversity. The cooldown levels the playing field a bit so that high speed/high life gain attackers don't get as much of an edge over slower builds. Skilled players will still pull ahead, as they should, but at least the average player has more of a fair shot. Without the cooldown, most people will just play the same class to get done the fastest and that's just boring. I think, for competition, all the classes would have to be balanced a bit better before the cooldown gets removed otherwise there's really only the illusion of choice if you want to stay competitive.

The cooldown, while it's awful for chaining in a lot of cases, promotes strategy and timing and helps HC characters by not allowing them to accidentally pull too much too fast. It also slows down the game and keeps people playing longer. I don't think melting through the content at breakneck speeds does anyone a favor really. I suppose there's other ways to do all these things too, I'm just trying to say that there are pros and cons to the pull cooldown. As players, it's nothing but pros if the cooldown were removed, but removing it also affects balance and that's something people need to think about too.

**Hall of the Dead**
Generic Savior - 96 - Druid Halfling
Kal Torak - 96 - Wizard Erudite
Apeiron - 96 - Druid Halfling
Snatch Bandit - 92 - Ranger Half Elf

Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:13 am
The Legend

Kinner wrote:
Are you killing this fast on Nimgaul Hell? I was having issues with that until I started fighting tougher mobs that take longer to kill.....

Yes, this is a problem Nimgaul Hell (and far worse for any lower level zones).

Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:58 am
The Legend

ArcheApeiron wrote:
Personally, I don't really care for the cooldown while just playing around for fun. However.. I feel that if there were to be a truly competitive ladder of sorts, the cooldown is rather necessary. Otherwise it stifles diversity. The cooldown levels the playing field a bit so that high speed/high life gain attackers don't get as much of an edge over slower builds. Skilled players will still pull ahead, as they should, but at least the average player has more of a fair shot. Without the cooldown, most people will just play the same class to get done the fastest and that's just boring. I think, for competition, all the classes would have to be balanced a bit better before the cooldown gets removed otherwise there's really only the illusion of choice if you want to stay competitive.

The cooldown, while it's awful for chaining in a lot of cases, promotes strategy and timing and helps HC characters by not allowing them to accidentally pull too much too fast. It also slows down the game and keeps people playing longer. I don't think melting through the content at breakneck speeds does anyone a favor really. I suppose there's other ways to do all these things too, I'm just trying to say that there are pros and cons to the pull cooldown. As players, it's nothing but pros if the cooldown were removed, but removing it also affects balance and that's something people need to think about too.

What balance? Not true at all. I am capped at level 99. There is no race for anything. This is a problem with just auto-attack, nothing to do with "skill".

And for your remark about "helps HC characters by not allowing them to accidentally pull too much": definitely a harsh lesson in HC mode, but if you fuck up and pull too much then that is on you for making a mistake. Pretty much any video game a mistake = death. You want to talk about skill, part of that should be don't make a mistake and pull too many mobs. Nevergrind was heavily inspired by games like Everquest. Do you know what happened when you made a mistake and pulled too much there? Death. You have a Run ability and some classes get Feign Death / crowd control abilities. I'd rather make it my own responsibility to not overpull and kill myself than have some training wheels forced on me.

Again, with a few classes at end-game the sheer amount of autoattack and flurries can one shot normal mobs. Pets (which trigger the cool down also) are even worse. It just makes chaining combos impossible to sustain if you are unlucky enough to get a board full of normal mobs and pets and no Champions / Named. Champions / Named are entirely different and still take time to kill. This isn't the problem. It's the normals and pets that die in a round or two of quick auto attacks leaving the cool down constantly refreshed and ticking.

Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:08 am
Goblin Captain

Oh god someone defending the pull mechanics? I seriously have had to take days off because my hand hurts from mashing D over and over and over and over.

Right now I'm kindve at the 'Hmm I may take a break until that gets changed'

And yeah this is hell nimgaul we're talking about. I thought it was bad on a monk but honestly by comparison to war/shm/rng/enchanter its not even close. Those classes are just awful. I want to 99 all of them but.. carpal tunnel is real

Beasting - Enchanter

Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:46 am
Goblin Captain

Also cheering for you Mael. Thanks for working on this broseph

Beasting - Enchanter

Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:47 am
Orc Centurion

Jysen wrote:
Kinner wrote:

Yes, this is a problem Nimgaul Hell (and far worse for any lower level zones).

See, I did not realize this, the only time it becomes a problem for me as an SK is on Nimgaul Nightmare when trying to keep 5 mobs up at all times. I did not realize the DPS discrepancy until reading the posts today since SK is the only class I have played to 95+.

That is crazy your auto attacks can one shot mobs, sounds like some classes need DPS buffs or some need nerfs. :)

Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:53 am
Orc Centurion

Edit-----Stupid double post, sorry.

Last edited by Kinner on Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:54 am
Goblin Captain

SKs really need a talent that gives them more autoattacks. War, ranger, shaman, and enchanter get those talents. They are fun classes. My enchanter and shm (shm does less, but still comparable) does 30k+ on normal mobs in hell nimgaul just autoattacking.

Beasting - Enchanter

Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:00 am
Goblin Captain

My warrior and enchanter cant die pretty much. Just spamming D and not paying attention I havent died on either since mid 50s.

My shaman isnt quite invincible but somewhat paying attention is usually sufficient.

My monk died a ton and its still possible for him to die if I drop the ball.

Beasting - Enchanter

Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]