View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 7:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Talent Trees: Level 20 Pre-reqs? 
Site Admin

Would it make more sense if every skill in the talent tree required a full 20 points in the pre-req? This is something I am considering. It would restrict build flexibility, but this might be a good thing.

YouTube | Facebook | Discord

Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:33 pm
Profile WWW
The Gourmand

A full 20 points? Not sure on that, it may require a re-work of how the bonuses are laid out.

Warlock Corpse -Dark Elf Necromancer

Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:49 pm
Orc Centurion

That's a pretty big change - and pretty restrictive. Having more build options seems like the more desirable option to me.

Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:03 pm
The Artificer

dislike.

Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:33 pm
The Purist

Ouch I'd say no. I'd hate to wait till lvl ~60 to unlock multiple auto attacks on shaman or similar. Especially given some of the 20 point bonuses are extremely weak in comparison.

If this were done the talent bonuses would need reworked.

Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:33 pm
The Veteran

Please don't do that :(
I'm a player that's more interested in playing many types of toon at lowish levels in normal, than one toon all the way through Nightmare/Hell. Requiring that kind of dedication and a ton of levels before unlocking extra stuffs would be pretty harsh.

Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:16 pm
The Legend

I could see this change harken back to the talent trees of vanilla WoW where you spend a number of points in a specialization and would unlock class defining effects at 20, 40, 60, and 80. Specializations in Nevergrind would be represented by the columns in the talent tree. The degree of power granted by the maxed talent would need to be arranged in order of weakest to strongest. The 60 and 80 point bonuses could be outrageously powerful because they'd be exclusive.

It'll be a lot of work to invent three playstyles for every class if you want to fill out the current trees. You're essentially setting the game to have 42 builds to design and balance. Though having a set goal to design towards may be more productive. Limitations can be the catalyst to creativity as the saying goes.

The builds could incorporate gearing decisions by favoring a certain loadout. SnS, 2H, or DW seems like an easy delineation for melee while casters builds could be grouped by schools of magic. That way, while you're playing through the game and a powerful unique item drops, you're encouraged to switch up builds to take advantage of the new power spike.

I think you're on to a good idea.

Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:11 pm
Site Admin

Seems like it would cause an extraordinary amount of butt chafing :o Just an idea. Won't happen in season 1 for sure.

YouTube | Facebook | Discord

Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:36 pm
Profile WWW
The Legend

I think TadaceAce and Suvana make good points about the pacing of the talent trees. It's pretty slow to see benefit from them and this change would push the effect the talent point system has on your character to even later in the game.

You might as well call them Alternative Advancement points then ;)

Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]