View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
Suggestion: Stun Enemies after Interrupting a Spell 
The Gourmand

As a Ranger (one of my many hats), I've come to hate with a passion anything that casts spells. You might ask why and wonder, well just stun them and move on with you day like you would with pretty much every other class? I will now divulge to you a deep, dark secret kept somewhere near the roots of the heart tree in the far forests where no one ever walks and well you get the idea. Rangers have NO stun ability. That's right, they cannot stun any enemy and thus Casters become a bit of a headache as they only have two skills that can interrupt that damage. One has a small chance to become available after physical damage, and the other is kick.

I'm proposing that after you interrupt a spell in progress the enemy would become shocked by your actions so much so that they are stunned for a short period of time. This would only happen if you actually interrupted the spell, (if you missed the 1.5 second cast window, you lucked out), but I feel like it would help tremendously because as it stands now even if you stun an enemy they just begin casting a different spell right away and you get hit by that one.

Thoughts?

Edit: They have 1 way to stun by leveling Trueshot Arrow up to 20. My mistake.

Warlock Corpse -Dark Elf Necromancer

Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:31 pm
The Purist

You rolled a ranger? There's only room for one ranger in these parts.

I'd agree, timing your kick is difficult and takes quite a bit of effort, I'm always on board for seeing that effort rewarded. I only do it if I happen to be fighting a boss who I failed to kill the first time.

Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:41 pm
Site Admin

I'll never give Ranger good stuns, but I might consider making snare slow down their cast times, too. That could be a cool idea.

YouTube | Facebook | Discord

Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:42 pm
Profile WWW
The Gourmand

Of course I rolled a Ranger, that's what I requested for my Legendary weapon. Figured it would be difficult, challenging you know.

Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:43 pm
The Purist

What is your legendary? You were right to go with a 2hander, even with the dual wield / double attack bonus, 2 hander still wins by a longshot :(

I'm using

Hard to argue that thing wasn't designed for ranger. I've tried a couple different weapons including pushing my +damage up for rapid fire damage and have yet to find something to out dps this thing.

Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:49 pm
The Gourmand

I ended up going 1hs. Figured I could use it for both a Rogue and a Ranger then. He's not high enough to use it yet.

Attachments:
Sword of Truth.JPG
Sword of Truth.JPG [ 51.79 KiB | Viewed 5990 times ]

Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:53 pm
Site Admin

TadaceAce wrote:
What is your legendary? You were right to go with a 2hander, even with the dual wield / double attack bonus, 2 hander still wins by a longshot :(

I'm using

Hard to argue that thing wasn't designed for ranger. I've tried a couple different weapons including pushing my +damage up for rapid fire damage and have yet to find something to out dps this thing.

No Wisdom? Vendor trash.

Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:56 pm
Profile WWW
The Purist

Sword of Truth, that hilarious NA/NA pet weapon that dropped or Inquisitor Seru. Nostalgia on that one. Dat status reduction, seriously, stupid stun and fear. Should have went dagger, like every class can use daggers...

What's the proc do?

Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:06 pm
The Gourmand

I requested a Fear Effect, but currently it doesn't do anything. I don't know if Mael ended up approving the request or going with something else. Figured I would go with Nostalgia :D

Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:07 pm
Site Admin

Yep, procs will be coded in later. That has to be added separately. Still working on them :)

Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:12 pm
Profile WWW
The Legend

Yea, it's jacked up that wizard trash mobs are far more deadly than bosses! They seem to chain cast 25% of my health repeatedly, with a second of each cast. There's fuck all my ranger can do about it.

In fact, I'm willing to bet nearly every non-ambush death has been to casters chaining me into the ground.

Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:44 pm
Site Admin

I think people underestimate how useful resists are in this game. But I still think the slowing mob cast time idea is a good idea.

Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:48 pm
Profile WWW
The Gourmand

To be perfectly honest I barely glance at the pieces of armor I have on. I agree though I probably underestimate how useful they are. The simple matter is most mobs cast 2-3 different elemental spells, so unless you are rocking lightning, fire, and magic resist you're still going to take a good bit of damage from one or more of them. Don't get me wrong, I like caster mobs, they mix things up and are a challenge compared to the tank mobs which I typically just spank and move on. That being said though, my initial post had some incorrect information in it. I though Trueshot arrow had the stun on it, but it is actually Counter Shot which is a bit more useful since it pops up more often. I also noticed Ignite staggers opponent's casting sometimes.

I probably need to find some high resist armor somewhere and just keep it for the bosses like the dragons and what not, but generally my armor is +Armor first and then everything else second.

Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:56 pm
The Gourmand

I guess my main issue right now with spell casting mobs is that with the best armor I've found as I'm leveling up (At 50 fighting level 44 mobs) each of their spells still takes 10%-15% of my health when they hit me. Given most mobs cast 2-3 spells if I can't interrupt them or stun them then I'm taking 30-45% of my health in a few seconds worth of time which my healing does not compare to getting that back up. Now I'm getting better and usually can interrupt one of the spells, but you begin to see my point. Ranger is the only class I've encountered this with so far (That's counting Druid, Magician, Necromancer, Shadow Knight, and Cleric) where I actually am losing "massive" amounts of health on trash mobs.

I don't really know what can be done though except get more resist gear for this guy and hope for the best, because I really don't want the mobs to be changed.

Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:00 pm
Site Admin

Why +armor first if elemental damage is your problem? Maybe experiment with +all resist first as a ranger.

Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:06 pm
Profile WWW
The Gourmand

I can try doing that, it is just a matter of finding the right armor, currently my resists are averaged at 16% across the board.

Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:08 pm
The Purist

Spell damage isn't a ranger thing, it's a game thing. Spell damage is just really high in general. Enemy spells do the same amount of damage as basic player spells 500+ at late game whereas enemy melee attacks only have a base damage of maybe 200 while players hit for 1k+.

Spell damage, along the same lines, should do about a fifth of the damage they do now. They don't have a real difference in speed compared to melee attacks (in reality spells are basically additional damage) and never miss. Resists and armor seem to be balanced where a reasonably geared person has similar spell damage reduction as physical reduction.

I'd said it in some other thread but yeah, spell damage OP. Damage should be decreased or cast time increased and have it stop their auto attack (rather than queuing it, it may already work this way).

Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:25 pm
The Gourmand

To be fair to Mael's point. I happened to have 90k sitting in my inventory since I hadn't spent it on anything since creating my Ranger. I upgraded all the pieces of armor I had save for 1 to level 10 and went from the 16% average resistance to 50% resistance across the board. Which has increased my survivability by a marked amount. I'm not saying there isn't the occasional fireball or magic ball that still takes down 10% of my life, but for the most part the damage has been reduced.

Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:02 pm
The Purist

Lost_Map wrote:
I upgraded all the pieces of armor I had save for 1 to level 10 and went from the 16% average resistance to 50% resistance across the board.

Is that in hell!? Granted my bard didn't build for resistance but he's about 26 average across the board while his physical reduction is 23.1. Granted spell absorb further pushes spell damage down as well as elemental rhythms, I still think spell damage is high, especially if mobs are casting in between melee attacks.

Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:12 pm
The Gourmand

Normal, Ranger is still too low for Hell.

Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:17 pm
Site Admin

75/75/75/75/75 50% all absorbs or you're doing it wrong ;)

Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:27 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]