View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Is Nevergrind dead? 
Orc Pawn

I have discovered this game like days ago. I notice there no people in chat and some threads are still way back a month old now.

i am starting to enjoy the game. so its kinda sad if its going down south :( :cry:

Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:52 am
The Veteran

Sad, but true... :cry:
Months ago (April-May), when kickstarter successfully ended and server mode was launched, there was a lot more activity both in this forum and ingame. Then it slowly decreased, and here we are now. Dead forum, unfinished wiki, a handful of people playing... Really really sad.
You can still enjoy the game,though. Just not its social part...

Hall of the dead:
DRIZZT - lvl 79 Dark Elf Wizard
Simona - lvl 74 Dark Elf Wizard

Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:22 am
Orc Pawn

soooo. what about the game? are there any plans in continuing development? its as seems as everything is on hibernate. :(

Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:36 pm
Site Admin

I recently moved to a new house and got a new job, so I haven't had any time to develop anything I wanted to work on. I considered adding more features to Nevergrind, but now I'm not so sure about that. I might move on to a second project if I can find the time. If I make a second game, I'll use the same account system and probably make something multiplayer. A card game seemed like a cool, simple idea. Only question is could I get enough traffic for a 1v1 card game? You never know. Multiplayer tends to attract a lot more interest than a 2D single-player RPG.

YouTube | Facebook | Discord

Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:44 am
Profile WWW
Orc Pawn

Maelfyn wrote:
I recently moved to a new house and got a new job, so I haven't had any time to develop anything I wanted to work on. I considered adding more features to Nevergrind, but now I'm not so sure about that. I might move on to a second project if I can find the time. If I make a second game, I'll use the same account system and probably make something multiplayer. A card game seemed like a cool, simple idea. Only question is could I get enough traffic for a 1v1 card game? You never know. Multiplayer tends to attract a lot more interest than a 2D single-player RPG.

ACK!! "but now I'm not so sure about that." Oh Maelfyn, you just broke my heart. :cry:

A PVP system perhaps maybe? I kinda fell in love of having the same feeling of playing this one with Diablo 2. Its kinda cool to just level up, gets stronger and challenge "someone" online or offline. :)

Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:23 pm
Orc Warlord

Last time I logged in I saw 5 people online. There are more people who play than people who post the forums. I haven't seen more than 7-8 people on at once in a long time. Unfortunately that means the game is basically dead, but there isn't really a social dynamic with this game as far as working with or trading with other players directly. Its a solo game where you can chat with people online while you play. It would be neat if some form of coop could be had, but mobs would need a considerable boost, and IMO should be able to hit both characters on the screen with every attack which would keep low level PUGs from being carried in higher difficulties.

I think a game like this would be far better suited for smart phones. But it would be a challenge to control the inputs and CDs on a smart phone, so some other method would have to be devised, such as click-keybinds for a combination of inputs to rotate your bread and butter skills in, or etc, while at the same time you can still individually pop one of your longer CDs. These are things people can do with keybinds on a PC. I'd pay $10-$20 for a version of nevergrind I could run on my android phone.

Roarak - Warrior level 99
Megidos - Necromancer level 99
Rykros - Magician level 98
Kuldera - Druid level 98
ProphetMuhammad - Cleric level 98

Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:16 pm
Deathly Harbinger

I'd say adding features to this game would be a good direction to go in, but that's really for me personally. I mostly stopped playing because I'd kind of reached a plateau, having several nearly maxed level characters and basically the best gear set up for the majority of them. I just plain ran out of stuff to do. I know dev time is at a premium for you, but if you don't want this game to die, that's where the time should be spent.

Revenant Snugglepuppy Cuddlekitten
Outrider Dogna Stormwolf
Knight Isthar Ironbane

Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:42 am
Orc Pawn

I for one welcome the idea of a new online trading card game. Someone told me that since Hearthstone released, other card games have been getting more activity. However, most card games WILL fail if they aren't properly created. I've played dozens of them, and, usually, the card games backed by a popular franchise (Magic, Pokemon, Yugioh, Warcraft) seem to win enough support to sustain themselves and deliver on the features needed to make the game great. It's often not just the gameplay mechanics themselves, but also the UI and playing speed that determines how enjoyable it is. Player versus player is a must, as is support for earning free cards. You also need to be a trendsetter, or, at least, bring something new to the table.

Furthermore, the card collection needs to be vast and varied. There should be pre-structured decks available in the store, but the joy in these games comes from developing your own strategy and evolving it over time. I've always fancied the idea of a User-Generated Content TCG, where you can create and name your own cards through hundreds of different materials and combinations, customizing the characters and backgrounds on them. Of course, that would slow down gameplay as people would always have to read your card unless the UI was very well done and responsive. 'Hold down ALT to display character statistics' etc.

Other ideas include building a spaceship starting with a core (similar to Captain Forever, but turn-based) from the cards you draw, with maneuvers, crew, strategic attacks, and positioning. 2D of course. Or an empire-themed card game where you build to capture territory and out-compete your opponent through resources and technology, with several win conditions.

Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:17 am
The Veteran

Not a big fan of card games tbh. I will give yours a try Mael, if you'll develop one, but I doubt it'll keep me hooked... :|

Hall of the dead:

Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:22 am
Orc Pawn

Just add More multiplayer features to NeverGrind.
Party system and arena duels. Problems solved. thank you.
No card games please...

Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:32 pm
Orc Warlord

Yeah I've pretty much burned out on Nevergrind, got a bunch of level 98-99s geared out in BiS gear (in my sig). Sorta ran out of stuff to do. Throwing in some uber bosses, or maybe some hunt quests on the town boards that could pose a decent challenge for some of those builds, or maybe a post hell mode area where I can fight uber mobs might bring me back. Of course the possibility of obtaining better gear than what I got would be nice too. Maybe some leg tier drops from "uber" mobs would be neat.

Roarak - Warrior level 99
Megidos - Necromancer level 99
Rykros - Magician level 98
Kuldera - Druid level 98
ProphetMuhammad - Cleric level 98

Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:18 am
Orc Pawn

One of the best games in a long time. The fact that its created by just one person is remarkable. The only thing thats more remarkable is that this person is abandoning this incredible creation...

Joe, you have no idea what you have here. I have no words..

Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:45 pm
The Veteran

Dread wrote:
One of the best games in a long time. The fact that its created by just one person is remarkable. The only thing thats more remarkable is that this person is abandoning this incredible creation...

Joe, you have no idea what you have here. I have no words..

Agreed, great game...sad that it ended up like this.
But hey, it's still playable at least :|

Hall of the dead:

Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:06 am
Site Admin

Abandoned? It's still there the same as it was on launch day. Truthfully, I couldn't ask for much better from a first game. Most first games aren't played by anyone. It helped set the stage for the future games that I have planned. I plan to release a new multi-player game before the end of the year. Should be fun.

Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:00 pm
Profile WWW
The Veteran

Maelfyn wrote:
Abandoned? It's still there the same as it was on launch day. Truthfully, I couldn't ask for much better from a first game. Most first games aren't played by anyone. It helped set the stage for the future games that I have planned. I plan to release a new multi-player game before the end of the year. Should be fun.

It's a great game Mael, and exceptionally great if you consider it's a first game developed by a one-man team! No wonder it exceeded your expectations.

But yeah,feels like it's been abandoned, here's why:

-very low/no activity ingame and in forums
-forum got reduced and a lot of posts ( helpful ones, like build /class related) got deleted
-no patch notes since ... when? though game gets updated from time to time
-wiki is unfinished and untouched since... when?
- your blog from Nevergrind's main page "Maelfyn's Glade" recently only talks about your new project
-no new features added to the game ( this was not expected apart from the Nevergrounds, but still gives that feeling)

...really, even the facts that you still obviously check here daily and address bugs was a (pleseant) surprise to me...

Don't get me wrong here, I really wish you all the best on your new multi-player game. But really sad that NG is in this state.

Hall of the dead:

Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:15 pm
Site Admin

I moved the posts to the General Discussion since they were lightly used. It seemed odd to have so many forums with a handful of posts in them. You paint a grim picture, but I think it did very well for a single-player browser game developed as a first game. Not every game is going to turn into Minecraft, Flappy Bird, or Agario. Typically, developers have to crank out 8 games to have one that actually makes money. I think of it as the foundation to a brighter future. It was a great learning experience. I feel like I added almost every feature that I wanted to implement in Nevergrind except a few like auction house, trading, mailboxes, but I did implement a lot of good stuff that you will be hard pressed to find anywhere else on the web by a dev on a micro-budget.

I would love to make a multi-player RPG at some point. Maybe a even a card game. Or an outer space game. I'll continue to make games as long as I enjoy doing it. I'm hoping to generate enough revenue from Firmament Wars to upgrade to a dedicated host, which will help support more concurrent users. The database strain on a multiplayer game is much higher.

Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:58 am
Profile WWW
The Veteran

^ Again, don't get me wrong, NG is really a great game with many cool features! I'm sad that not many people got to know and play it and that you therefore moved on to a new game, but that's more on our part than yours...
A multiplayer and/or trading system would have gone far imho, but on a small budget I understand these are really hard if not impossible to implement. Really, being a first experience (and on such a small budget) you did exceptionally great!
Hope you all the best for Firmament Wars and I'll keep an eye out for what you'll develop next - space game pls ;-)

Take care

Hall of the dead:

Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:06 pm
Site Admin

A space game that is kind of like Eve Online meets Starflight would be really interesting... but in a browser, of course. It would be MMO-style for sure. The idea of a space game appeals to me because it seems like it would be possible to develop on a very low budget. Outer space doesn't really require a huge budget.

Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:15 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]