I can confirm that I have started development on Nevergrind 2. Feel free to check out the progress on the Nevergrind 2 Test Server! Here’s what I can confirm:
- Original Nevergrind will continue to exist in its current state.
- Most of the development of Nevergrind 2 will be live streamed on Twitch.
- Nevergrind 2 will be a multiplayer real-time RPG powered by the same proven technology that powered the multiplayer engine in Firmament Wars.
- The game design document is still being developed, but party size will probably be four.
- Nevergrind 2 will be slower paced and easier to play compared to the original. Why, you may ask? The original game only had to update the client’s state. A game designed for a client-server relationship has to be more cautious about how much data is sent over the wire. Nevertheless, I believe the slower gameplay speed will actually be a good thing.
- I am not sure how I will get art developed for this game. I just know that I want to make it. I’ll probably use art assets from part 1 as placeholders until I figure that out later.
- The game will be free along with some optional monetization that will not affect enjoyment of the game.
- The game will allow the use of single sign-on via Google, Kongregate, and perhaps others, making it easier to get friends to join.
- At this time I am planning eight classes.
- The game will feature real-time chat, friends lists, whispering, and so on.
- The game will be heavily focused on cooperative team-based combat and finding rare items.
- Development will be focused on supporting desktop and laptop browsers. Mobile support may be developed later if it is popular, and I will do my best to keep considerations for mobile in mind.
UPDATE: It has only been a few months, but here are some screenshots of its progress so far: